Background

Monday, September 20, 2010

A little sewing

My brother and his wife had their precious little baby girl last week so I can finally post what I made for them. Baby Myah was born on September 11th and she is absolutely beautiful. They did find out what they were having and may have let it slip a few times so I did know that the baby would be a girl. So, knowing this, I was able to make them a quilt that was a little more girly and not quite so gender neutral. However, I didn't want to make a standard 'pink' one so this is what I came up with. The back is done in coral colour minky material that is the softest material around - perfect for a baby quilt.
After I had made their quilt, I realized that I had quite a bit of material left over, probably enough for another quilt! (I'm still trying to figure out why the lady at the quilt store sold me so much when I told her I wanted to do a baby quilt). Anyway, most of the pieces that I had left were smaller than the squares from the first one, so I needed to alter my plan a bit. I have only ever done just the basic squares quilt. I had seen this tutorial for a Stacked Coin Quilt and had also seen a quilt that a friend of mine had done in this pattern. I think it turned out pretty good!

I didn't have enough of the coral minky material left to do the backing of this one and I also thought because there was more of it on the front, it might be a bit much of the orange. So, in the bargain bin at Fabricland, I found this almost as soft grey that worked just as well! Now the quilte will just sit in the cupboard, waiting for a little baby girl to be given to!



Finally, last week I whipped up a few more little bags for the kids. Owen is starting his Wee College and needed a little bag to put his stuff in (the blue one). Kendra still has her Wee college bag from last year (purple one) and I let her choose the material for one to put her ballet clothes in. Very quick and easy pattern to follow. I added the strip on the top for a little more interest and if they get tired of that side, you can flip them inside out for a different look!


2 comments:

Sarah said...

HILDA!!! These are awesome. That minky fabric is so soft - I have felt it in the store, but haven't bought any yet.

Love all your projects! And that was a bonus that you had enough to make a 2nd quilt :)

Jono and Janice said...

How does that qualify as a "little" sewing? Looks wonderful!