Background

Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Smithers hike

I've been in Smithers for the past few days for my niece, Michelle's wedding to Phill.  I came with Jocelyn (she still flies for free!) and just for the weekend.  Sid and Holly were here too and Sid suggested that if the weather cooperated, we should do a hike while we were here.  Friday morning turned out to be a beautiful day so off we went. Mom volunteered to watch the 3 kids for the day and  Jason and Andrea also joined us.The most popular hike around here is probably "the Onion" but that one probably would have taken us a little too long.  So, Sid did some research and came up with Astlais Mountain, a mountain beside the Onion and still part of the same mountain range.

Andrea, myself and Holly - looking for bears! We actually saw in insane amount of very fresh bear poop along the trail but we figured we were making enough noise with 5 of us to scare them all away!



This is where we were headed.


Sid and Holly

Me and Sid



Andrea and Jason on the summit!

A beautiful view through the trees on our way up.

A view overlooking the whole valley on our way down.
It turned out to be quite a difficult hike - pretty much just walking uphill for 2 1/2 hours to get to the top.  However, the views from the summit were incredible.  I was quite bummed that I fogot my camera.  Both of the cameras that we did take were having issues so I don't think these pictures even begin to do justice to the views.   It was a great day with great people!  I'll even do it again next year!

1 comment:

Holly and Sid Brandsma said...

It was awesome! I loved hanging with you and Jocelyn this week. Looking forward to the next hike and adventure.