Background

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Well I figured if my older brother could do a blog, I could probably do it too. Hilda usually does this but I thought I would give it a go this time. Seems like all our posts so far have been about our spare time, rest assured not is all idle time! I am teaching Monday - Thursday and on my teaching days I head off to school around 8:15. It is about a 20 minute walk to the university from where we are staying.
Class is from 9:00 - 12:15 with a break in there. When we first signed up for this, I imagined going home for lunch with the family then heading back to school for a couple of hours in the afternoon to prepare for the next day. In reality, I stay at school for a quick lunch and usually don't get home until around 6:00pm. I have been giving a lecture for the first three days and then an exam on Thursday, which means marking on Fridays. But we have been successful (other than the first weekend - that was busy) in keeping our weekends free - Hilda has posted the results of those free days!
This past weekend was an uber long weekend. Tuesday was a national holiday and in Lithuanian fashion they shut down the country on Monday too (logic is there is not much use in working Monday if Tuesday is a holiday). So we went to the capital Vilnius for a few days, more on that later. But it also meant I need to make up that time and thus added extra class time this Friday.
The beginning was especially busy as I had to adjust to a new school, new computer systems, new building (it's a maze), new way of doing things,... but now it is getting better. I should be home by 5:30 tonight!
Hilda is helping the library catalogue their books into an online system. Since most of the LCC students cannot afford to purchase books, LCC keeps a stock of textbooks that the students sign out and return at the end of the semester. These textbooks are what she is helping to get online. We found a babysitter through the university who looks after Kendra and Owen two mornings a week so Hilda can come in and do this. Friday afternoons I stay home and mark, so she heads into the university then as well. She enjoys helping out.
It has been busy but good. I can't believe that we have surpassed the halfway point in the course. Actually, my last class and exam is in one week from today. On the other hand, this week means covering three more chapters and grading two more exams. Well, that's a picture of daily life over here. Time to head back to my office and finish preparing for tomorrow's lecture.
We appreciate all the support from back home!
The "professor" at work...
Hard-working students trying to solve a problem

Administration and classroom building to the left and
Gymnasium and cafeteria to the right
Gym and cafeteria to the right with dorm building in the background


3 comments:

The Bossert 5 said...

Hello Kevin!! Thank you for the update!!! You look like a professional up there at the board!! Good for you!!! I am so happy that you are doing so well!!! I can't believe you are almost done your course!! CRAZY!!! :)

Can't wait to hear more about your trip!!

Sarah said...

This was a great post, Kevin! So cool to get your perspective on things!!! Hard to believe your stay there is more than half over.

Unknown said...

Good to see you actually are there to work Kev...and not just play :)
Enjoy your remaining time! What an amazing experience!