Background

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Expectations

Kendra loves to make things and she is very creative. Yesterday morning she worked all morning to make a 'surprise' for me - I was not allowed to look at it until she was finished. This has now taken a very special spot on top of the piano for all to see! I love it! I often get caught up with "expectations" this time of year. I have a certain picture in my head of what the Christmas season is going to be like - visions of wonderful family outings with perfectly behaved kids, sitting quietly reading Christmas stories, enjoying dinners and Christmas baking, driving around looking at lights, attending beautiful Church services, and on and on. And while many of these things do happen, there is always the reality of life thrown in with it all - 6 year old hyperness, 4 year old meltdowns, 1 year old missing naptime, and dinner dish flopped, my mixer breaking, missing family members and on and on too. It never really works out like it does in my head and then I get a little sad.

However, then I look at the scene Kendra made for us. It makes me aware of the reason why Jesus left his perfect home in heaven to come down to this very imperfect world - a world full of unmet expectations. He came to save us from all that is wrong and sinful and broken in our world. It makes me realize that even if some of my earthy expectations are not met, the expectation of Jesus returning to take us to his Heavenly home will be met - and met far beyond what I can even begin to imagine!!


So, Merry Christmas to you all! May many of your "expectaions" be met this season, even if they have to be adjusted a little! May we always be aware that one of the greatest expectations has already come to pass and another is still coming!!


"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given,

and the government will be on his shoulders.

And he will be called

Wonderful Counselor,

Mighty God,

Everlasting Father,

Prince of Peace.

Of the increase of his government and peace,

there will be no end.

He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom,

establishing and upholding it

with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever.

The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this."

Isaiah 9:6-7

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, nicely put Hilda.
great perspective--helped me as I've been nursing 2 puking kids this week and thinking, fabulous timing!
i hope you have a great time with your family this weekend, even if it's not so perfect ;) Joleen VD

Jono and Janice said...

Thanks for the reminder Hilda. I, too, have many expectations for the holidays that I guess may need some adjustment. Here's to staying focused on the birth of our Saviour!