Background

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Lonely Planet books

My husband, Kevin, loves Lonely Planet travel books.  He has always loved travelling and has found that these travel books are the best ones to use.  I think that for pretty much every place that he has travelled to, he has read the Lonely Planet book to go with it.  And, he doesn't just skim through them, looking for the information he needs, he actually reads them cover them cover to cover!  The people who write the history sections in these books will be very happy to know that someone is actually reading that part of the book!
 So, of course, after he married me, we also did some travelling and I soon discovered that the books had to 'appear' in many of the photos he took. Here I am sitting in a pub in Ireland with the Lonely Planet book strategically placed on the table. 
 Another trip to the Maritimes, with the book overlooking Nova Scotia. 
 Then in 2008, we travelled as a family to Lithuania.  Kevin was thrilled when Owen, at 18 months, held up the book for Kevin to take a picture of!
 Here he is, teaching Kendra, 3, all the must know info about reading a travel book.
 So, this brings me to the present day. For the past few days, Owen's new favourite books have been Kevin's Lonely Planet books.  He really did find them on his own, without any coersing from his father!!  He is fascinated by them!  "I just love all the maps and numbers"!  Our future traveller, making his dad very proud!
 Owen showing me one of the many maps in his book of England.
 "This map is on page 235, Mom!
Oh the things our chidren do to make us smile!!!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

I work with Nova Scotia Tourism in social media and I came across your post in my search for people talking about us. (We love to hear from our visitors.) I had to comment on your post because that is the cutest thing. I have never seen one so young with such an interest in travel. Looks like he's been bitten by the travel bug and he might be writing his own books some day. Come back and visit us any time and if you need more information than what's in your travel books feel free to visit us online. All the best to your family and Owen the world traveler!

Cynthia (from www.novascotia.com)

Sarah said...

Fun post!! I just picked up a Lonely Planet guide for Norway. My mom and I are going this summer! Looks like Kevin has quite the selection... has he been to every place he has a book for?