Background

Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Fairy Party!

We now have a 7 year old in our house! Kendra celebrated her 7th birthday on March 17.  Her favourite books to read right now are a series called "Rainbow Magic" - stories about all different kinds of fairies.  So, it only made sense to have a "Fairy Party!"


 I googled "Fairy Birthday cake" and of course there were many, many different ideas for fairy cakes, but all of them a little too elaborate for me.  Kendra spotted this one and I agreed that I could do that.  This was my first attempt at an all fondant cake.  I love the smooth look it gives the cake and I was happy with my flowers.  I only wished that I had practiced the white piping  a little before I did the cake as it looks a little wobbly!  However, my 7-year old was thrilled with it, so I was happy too!

For the party, I did a few 'centers' that had to do with fairy stuff.  I knew my mom was going to be here so I had an extra pair of hands to help me out.  (Kevin took the younger two 'out' during party time so I didn't have those extra hands to worry about!)  The girls all decorated headbands with ribbons and flowers. 

Each girl also got a small clay pot.  They each got to paint and decorate their pot and put their name on the top with stickers.  We then filled them up with soil and planted a few Nasturtium seeds. (The package said they were easy to grow.   Now, a few weeks later, the plants are quite tall already and ready to be put outside.)

 Finally, they each made an origami tulip to put in their flower pots.  I added a few easter eggs in their pots before they went home and these were their 'goodie-bags', along with their headbands. 

Throw in some 'make-you-own mini-pizzas', a few treats, a game or two, some girl stuff and call it a party!! It was a fun morning!  Till next year!!

No comments: